One of Portugal's national dishes has made it into our recipe blog this week: we are talking about Caldo Verde. Caldo Verde is a potato-based soup that originally came from the north of Portugal. Portuguese Caldo Verde is easy to prepare and an ideal dish to warm up the body when the temperatures are still very cold. We hope you enjoy cooking it.
-1 medium onion, diced
-2 cloves garlic, chopped
-3 medium potatoes, sliced
-250g Portuguese kale (stems removed and leaves thinly sliced) - alternatively, regular kale or kohlrabi leaves
-1 chorizo, sliced
-Salt and pepper
step by step instructions:
1. First heat the olive oil in a saucepan and then cook the onion and garlic until softened and translucent.
2. Then add the sliced potatoes and stir. Pour in the water and bring the mixture to the boil. Then continue to simmer until the potatoes are soft.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, turn off the heat and mash the mixture with a hand blender until smooth.
4. Bring the soup back to a simmer and add the Portuguese kale and chorizo. Let it simmer for 10 minutes and season to taste.
5. Ladle the soup into a bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil.
If you want the soup to be thinner, add a little more water.
Photo by Filipe Lanca (Come Cá em Casa)