Today we introduce you to one of the numerous Bacalhau dishes from Portugal. The Bacalhau also called the "loyal friend" in Portugal and has become an integral part of Portuguese cuisine. The following recipe of the dish "Bacalhau com Natas" is inspired by Filipe Lanca and his Instagram page "Come Cá em Casa". Have fun cooking it at home!
- 4 medium sized pieces of Bacalhau
- 1 kg of potatoes cut into cubes
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- breadcrumbs (optional)
For the bechamel sauce:
- 250 ml of milk
- 250 ml of full cream
- 40g butter
- 40g flour
- a few drops of lemon juice
Step by step instructions:
1. Boil the stockfish in a pot with water, a bay leaf and a little olive oil. Cook the stockfish for 10 to 15 minutes. Then take it out of the water and let it cool down. As soon as it has cooled, remove the skin and bones and tear the fishmeat into small pieces. Save a little cooking water for the bechamel sauce.
2. Fry the potatoes in very hot oil and then drain well.
3. For the bechamel sauce, first melt the butter in a pot on a low heat. The flour is added while stirring constantly so that a lump forms. This dissolves as soon as you add the milk and cream: Add milk and cream sip by sip and keep stirring until a thick sauce is formed. If the sauce gets too thick, it can be diluted with the stored cooking water. Finally, season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and a few drops of lemon juice. Stir everything well once at the end.
4. Put a dash of olive oil, the onions and the garlic in a pot and let it simmer.
5. As soon as the onions are golden yellow, add the stockfish pieces and cook for a few minutes on a low level.
6. Then add the fried potato cubes and stir everything well.
7. In the next step, add the finished bechamel to the pot and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add nutmeg, the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
8. Then you put all together in a baking dish, distribute everything well and sprinkle the dish with breadcrumbs as you like.
9. Bake in the preheated oven at 200C in the middle shelf for approx. 20 to 25 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Photos by Filipe Lanca (Come Cá em Casa)